Saturday 26 May 2007

Subject: Ouch, that hurt!

An email form John D McHugh who has been shot while working in Afghanistan, for AFP as a photojournalist; his blog makes for an interesting read and shows the reality of what it is like to be a war photographer.

Hi Everyone,


I know that Helen has been emailing most of you thus far,but today I feel strong enough to write a short note.

So, yes, it happened, I got shot. And it sucked! And it still does. But, I am alive, and I consider myself very lucky. Some will say that a couple of inches to the left and I would be fine, but by the same train of thought a couple of inches the other way and I would....not be writing this email. Therefore, I am, once again, to be considered "lucky."

The whole story is too long and difficult for me to write out at the moment. The bare details are not. I was with an American/Afghan Army unit that was on a mission, when a different unit was ambushed close by. We were sent as a QRF (Quick Reaction Force) to help them, but walked into a second, lethal attack. I don't have all the details yet, but I know there were several people killed and wounded, including me. I was shot through the stomach,lower left abdomen, and the bullet damaged my colon and spleen before exploding out through my back. Ouch!

Thankfully I didn't pass out, but managed to take cover. We were in the middle of a big fight, so I think it was 10 or 15 minutes before the soldiers managed to get a dressing on me and get me into a Humvee, at which point we drove out of there, all guns blazing. In remained concious the whole time, and once back at the base, maybe 20 minutes over the worst roads in the world, I was evacuated by helicopter to a hospital, where I was operated on. Due to the injuries to my stomach and bowel, I have been given a colostomy bag ( all jokes welcome) and have been stapled back together. It looks like I have a zipper from my chest down to my groin as well as the entry wound in my stomach and exit hole in my back. So at least the scars will be dramatic.

After a few days I was flown out to a US military hospital hospital in Germany, where I am still. I am on lots of painkillers, my arms look like a pin cushion, and my torso looks like a patchwork quilt. Yes, I am still sore, but nothing like I was originally, so I don't want anyone worrying about me. I should make a full, if slow, recovery.

As soon as it is confirmed that I am returning to the UK, I will tell you more. And as soon as I can I will write out the whole story, and edit the photos. In the meantime, thanks for all the mails so far, and I will see you all soon.

Cheers,

"Lucky" John D

www.johndmchugh.com

Blog

1 comment:

Leticia said...

It's very hard...